David Conroy

David Conroy

Tuesday 29 April 2014

NPS rnd 1 (Slade valley)

This weekend was the first round of the 2014 XC National Points Series.  It was held in Slade valley which is a bit of a local track for me and I was really looking forward to getting back to racing XC.

The week leading up to the race was beautiful with lots of sun and when I went up with fellow team-mate Sean last week-end for a spin the course was fast, dry and dusty.  Unfortunately the weather turned nasty on Saturday with lots of rain to turn the course shlompy and wet.

However while Sunday started off overcast the rain held off and the day turned out bright and sunny.  The roots were slippy and there were some big puddles but that's my favourite type of racing, technical and muddy.

My race was due to start at twelve and we had a brilliant start loop to spread us out, up a steep kicker and onto one of the most fun tracks at Slade, the downhill track with loads of berms and jumps to go wild on.  I tucked in behind Cameron for the first half lap and then made a big effort passing him on the fireroad.  Passing the feed zone I picked up a  water bottle and honeystinger gel. "God that honeystinger stuff is nice"
Then I was off on my final lap trying to be smooth, fast and yet careful of all the slippy roots knowing that one small slip up and Cameron would be there to take full advantage.  My race went very well and I was delighted to take the win in the first round of the NPS and looking forward to the second round already.  

Big thanks to Eurocycles and Donnybrook Landscape Company for supplying me with a super fast and super slick Scott Scale 750 to race on.  

Thanks to IMBRC for all their work.  It was great to meet up with everybody again for the start of another season.  I really enjoyed the week-end.  Thanks for the great photos courtesy of  Sean Rowe and Keith Wallace. 



No comments:

Post a Comment