David Conroy

David Conroy

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Not the week I had planned

Ok so I'm writing off the 3rd round of  the Gravity Enduro series in Ballyhoura as a learning experience. Went down Saturday, practiced hard, felt great, went out again Sunday and raced, felt pinned on 4 stages and got a puncture on stage 5 but rode down the stage anyway destroying my rear rim in the process...... only to be told that my timing chip wasn't turned on.
If in doubt Ride it out!

Next up the XC Nationals in Killarney.  We travelled down on the Saturday morning and I got in one easy practice lap to get to know the course... It was greasy, fast and mainly flat with a couple of leg sapping steep kickers and not as technical as I would have liked.  Around 4 o'clock I got in another practice lap with my team mate Sean and David Montgomery.  The traffic in Killarney was terrible, it took us 20 minutes to drive 3 miles to the place we were staying.

I arrived early on Sunday and went out on a short practice loop, the course was slippier after the rain during the night but was drying out fast.

Words can't even describe what I was feeling on the start line but nervous definitely doesn't even come close.
The start was a mad battle of elbows as everyone tried to get the inside line into the first corner, I was second and quickly got to first and as we reached the first small hill in the field I started to pace myself, but Cameron McIntyre had other plans bursting off up the hill.  I chased him down and followed him for most of the first lap as we passed the elite women and pulled on the other U16 riders.
 I passed Cameron back going up one of the steep kickers but he passed me back on the next one.  On the second lap I made an early pass hoping to pull a lead but somewhere on the course I had bent a couple of teeth on my big chain-ring and it slipped, allowing Cameron to pass me and pull 20 seconds.  I pushed hard chasing him down but fell again on one of the rooty descents bending my rear derailleur.  I caught Cameron with half a lap to go where he also fell allowing me to regain the lead but Cameron was right on my wheel again having recovered from his fall.  It was a tough race but in the end it came down to a sprint finish where Cameron bet me by half a second.  Not the result I was after but winning 6/7 races is still good.  Unfortunately on the biggest day of the year I had problems but it can't be perfect every race.

full results here

Thanks to everyone who has helped me this season in XC. thanks to Paddy Daly for including me on his dream team, to Scott Ireland for providing the awesome Scott Scale, to Alfie and Robin for looking after the bike all season which is no easy task as it takes lots and lots of abuse, to Continental for providing tyres, to Honey Stinger for keeping me fueled during the races and to all the photographers whose amazing photography can be seen in all my blogs and to my dad for driving me all over the country.

But the season ain't over next up is the Gravity Enduro Nationals then off to the UK to race the last round of their XC series, check back soon to see how I get on.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment