David Conroy

David Conroy

Tuesday 22 December 2015

Namur Cyclocross World Cup

This weekend I went to Namur in Belgium for a trip of redemption.  I was going to give this World Cup racing a second go, The course looked steep, muddy and technical.  A real mountain bikers course.

We arrived at our hotel Friday night and went for a small scout of the town and race course.  We had a lie-in Saturday morning and then walked to the course for a look at it in daylight.  Practice was from 2 to 4 so we went back and built up the bikes.  Practice went great.  I loved the course from the first lap. I rode 6 laps and a bit of sectioning with Monty.


My race started at 10 so it was an early night and start.  We arrived on course at 9 and I started my warm-up at 9:20.

 At 9:45 I rolled down to the start line and rolled around the start/finish there until the gridding started.  I was gridded 69/77 so lots of work to do.  We weren't trusted with the lights this time so we went on a whistle. With a minute to go there was a chorus of zips as warm-up leggings and long jerseys came off and were flung left and right.  On the whistle the madness started again as everyone rushed into a tapered and ramped start.  I was on the left hand side luckily as a crash happened within 100 meters of starting on the right.


I was about 40th after this climb and held this position until the technical off camber rutted section, there is no safe or easy line here.  It's like trying to ride tram tracks that were laid to be as hard as possible to stay in.  The most consistent part of this section is its inconsistency.  I stayed high to stay safe, that way no-one could fall on me and if they did fall they would fall down the hill. It was carnage but my plan worked and I moved up to about 35th.  Over the next few laps I held my position well.  The Belgium B team were gridded last so some of them passed me but I also passed some riders.  I changed my bike twice over the race, the course was dryer than most other years allowing for less bike changes.


























On the last lap there was me, one Italian and one Dutch rider fighting for 38th place.  When we came to the off camber rutted section I took the high line while the Italian led the Dutch rider through the low line, about halfway along the Italian fell and the Dutch fell over him, this allowed me to open a gap and I held it until the line.  Coming onto the finish line I saw an American rider, we had a photo finish for 37th, unfortunately I lost and had to settle for 38th.  Still delighted to make it halfway up the results.  The riders are on another level over here and the racing is so close any mistake anywhere loses you places.



Looking forward to a good block of Christmas training and can't wait for the Nationals on the 10th of January.

















No comments:

Post a Comment